One way to glorify God is by adopting healthy eating and physical activity practices. There exist a plethora of diet & exercise programs available from which to choose. However, there's a more simple way to eat & exercise healthily.
In Genesis, we learn that "out of the ground the Lord God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food." (Gen 2:9) The Old Testament explains numerous examples of God's abundant agricultural blessings that He provides. Eating fresh meat, fish, vegetables, and fruits is a healthy (and Biblical!) way of eating. Intentional exercise each day will keep you fit and healthy.
Practically, for the majority of us, it means primarily shopping around the perimeter of your local grocery store. Think about it...the produce section, freshly baked breads, meats, chicken and seafood, as well as your dairy products, surround the perimeter of the store.
Exercise can be as simple as interval walking in your neighborhood for 30 minutes. Begin reading on page 9 of this diet and exercise handbook for tips and suggestions.
If you enjoy exercising via video, the Fitness Blender website contains FREE workout videos for every fitness level. Enter your workout time, body focus & training type to view your customized workout options.
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Drain the chickpeas, reserving 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the liquid.
2. Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, onion, garlic, oil, cumin, pepper, and salt using a hand blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
3. Add the chickpea liquid, if needed to thin the puree.
4. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving so flavors have a chance to blend.
5. Garnish with parsley, if using.
Serving size: 2 oz.
Nutrition per serving: 251 calories, 8 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 447 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber
Tasty Turkey Treats
2 slices turkey breast
2 medium lettuce leaves (Boston Bibb, Romaine)
2 Tablespoons Cilantro Mayonnaise (see below)
2 green onions (scallions)
2 bell pepper strips (green, red, orange or yellow)
1. Place 1 slice of turkey on a lettuce leaf spread with Cilantro Mayonnaise.
2. Add 1 green onion and 1 pepper strip.
3. Roll the lettuce leaf around the meat and vegetables.
5. Healthy Ham Variation: Substitute ham for turkey
6. Cilantro Mayonnaise may be used as a dip vs. a spread
Serving size: 2 lettuce wraps
Nutrition per serving: 54 calories, 10 g protein, 2 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 604 mg sodium, 17 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber